April’s PubSmart conference takes place in Charleston, SC, and folks worldwide are excited – just check out the hashtag for #PubSmartCon for some cool faculty, sponsor and attendee buzz!
VERY IMPORTANT: The early-bird registration deadline for PubSmart 2014 ends February 1st. Early bird pricing offers you a $50 discount for either regular registration or VIP registration that includes TWO $50 master classes and $50 preferential brunch seating! So, it’s a good idea to get in early, and the conference is on track to sell out well before the final registration deadlines.
Here are some fast facts, discount info (how to save another $50!), and “what you get” benefits about PubSmart 2014!
http://pubsmartcon.com/ Visit for full schedule of events, faculty bios, conference blog posts, sponsor and exhibitor links, ticket ordering info, hotel discounts and more.
What is PubSmart?
An unprecedented gathering of publishing professionals, some of the smartest on the planet. They represent today’s broad range of publishing opportunities – self publishing, traditional, small press and hybrid. This is a new kind of event that puts every emerging author or small publisher in the driver’s seat and gives you the information you need to create a customized roadmap for success!
Who Should Attend?
- Traditionally published authors who want to improve sales and discover new markets and avenues for their work
- Self-published authors who want to reach more readers
- Aspiring authors seeking guidance from industry professionals
- Independent publishers who want to better serve their authors and improve performance
What Will You Learn?
- How editors/agents can help further your publishing goals
- Steps to build your author platform, brand and persona
- Insights from publishing professionals including successful authors, agents, editors, designers, and marketers
- Where book publishing and marketing is headed in the digital era
- How to build sales and buzz through reviewers, mass media and book clubs
- Today’s methods of raising funds, using discoverability tools and increasing distribution
Faculty (Editors, Agents, Authors and MORE!)
- Hugh Howey, Keynote Speaker and Best-Selling Author
- Jane Friedman, Keynote Speaker and Publisher Scratch Magazine
- Chuck Adams, Executive Editor, Algonquin Books
- Tracy Adams, Literary Agent, Adams Literary
- Porter Anderson, Journalist and Consultant, Writing on the Ether
- Amanda Barbara, CEO Pubslush
- Tracy Bernstein, Executive Editor, Penguin Random House
- Angela Bole, Executive Director, Independent Book Publishers Association
- Lynda Bouchard, Publicist, Booking Authors Ink
- Stephanie Bowen, Senior Editor, Sourcebooks
- Brandi Bowles, Literary Agent, Foundry Literary
- Ross Browne, President, The Editorial Department
- John Burbage, Evening Post Press
- C. Hope Clark, Author, Editor of Funds for Writers
- Brenda Copeland, Executive Editor, St. Martin’s Press
- Robin Cutler, Manager, IngramSpark
- Anne Dalton, Attorney, Dalton Legal
- Mitchell Davis, CEO, Bibliolabs
- Laura Dawson, Product Manager, Bowker
- Ellie Davis, CEO and Founder, Pressque
- Rachelle Gardner, Literary Agent, Books & Such
- Rebecca Gradinger, Fletcher & Company, Literary Agent
- Jacqueline Gum, Author / Content Manager, Where Writers Win
- Kendra Haskins, Art Director / Web Developer, Where Writers Win
- Jeff Kleinman, Founding Partner and Literary Agent, Folio Literary
- Eric Liebetrau, Non-Fiction Editor, Kirkus Reviews
- Terri Ann Leidich, Publisher CEO, BQB Publishing
- Brenda McClain, Media Trainer, McClain Communications
- Claire McKinney, CEO and Founder, Claire McKinney Public Relations
- Kathy Meis, Founder, Bublish
- Frank Monahan, President and CEO, Rocket Science Productions
- Christine Munroe, US Manager, Kobo Writing Life
- Will Murphy, Senior Editor, Penguin Random House
- Lorin Oberweger, Founder / Author, Free Expressions
- Signe Pike, Author, Freelance Editor, Former Random House editor
- Cindy Ratzlaff, Founder / Publicist, Brand New Brand You, Marketing 360
- Orna Ross, Founder, Alliance of Independent Authors
- Miral Sattar, CEO and Programmer, Bibliocrunch
- Shari Stauch, CEO and Founder, Where Writers Win
- Rachel Sussman, Founding Partner / Literary Agent, Chalberg & Sussman
- David Symonds, General Manager, CreateSpace
- Tarah Theoret, Reader Concierge, NetGalley
- Adam Witty, Founder and CEO, Advantage Media Group
- Maya Ziv, Editor, Harper Collins
Sponsors and Exhibitors
- Kindle Direct Publishing
- Kobo Writing Life
- Rocket Science Productions
- College of Charleston
- Where Writers Win
- Advantage Media Group
- Independent Book Publishers Association
- The Editorial Department
- Alliance of Independent Authors
- Scratch Magazine
- BQB Publishing
Additional affinity discounts (on top of the $50 off early bird) available for conference-goers as follows:
- Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA) members can use promo code PS14IBPA50 for an additional $50 off their registration, making an early-bird registration just $395 for VIPs or $295 for regular registrations. IBPA is a sponsor of PubSmart 2014.
- Sponsors and co-producers Where Writers Win (promo code PS14WWW50) and Bublish (promo code PS14BUBBLE50) are offering $50 discounts to their members as well.
- Members of the South Carolina Writers Workshop (SCWW) may also take $50 off their early or late registrations using promo code PS14SCWW50.
- $50 student discounts to any full-time student who wishes to attend, using promo code PS2014STU50. Students registering with the discount should be prepared to present proof of status at check-in. (PubSmart sponsor College of Charleston will additionally award three full scholarships to attend).
- For those who aren’t members of one of these groups, famed writing journalist, conference blogger and PubSmart speaker Porter Anderson is offering $30 off to his readers; use code PS14PA30.
Plus, the host hotel, Charleston’s famed Francis Marion, is offering attendees a very special rate of $199 (mention PubSmart when you make your reservation!)
Beyond the obvious savings, attendees to PubSmart will be treated to:
- Free Wednesday masterclass (and two more master classes free to VIPs)
- Wednesday night cocktail party sponsored by College of Charleston in the arena hospitality suite with sweeping views of the city and the bridge
- Thursday morning keynote breakfast featuring Jane Friedman
- Coffee/tea breakouts in the morning and afternoon
- Keynote luncheon featuring author Hugh Howey
- Literary Dinner Celebrating the Golden Age of Authors… Then and Now!
- Friday “Dish and Dialog” brunch (and preferential seating with faculty to VIPs)
- Access to exhibitors and dual-track sessions throughout Thursday
- Post-conference access to online videos of every session (VIPs will also have free access to master class videos)
- And some “pop-up” events yet to be announced!
Welcome to a new breed of conference for this exciting new age of publishing… right here in Charleston, SC!